28 November 2007

2 December, 2004

There is a rumor around our office that the autumn and winter months are the slow time of year for those of us who work on the field team in Mexico. However, looking back over the last few months, little seems slow about it. Indeed, fewer groups come during this part of the year, but the slack time is picked up in projects around the office, moving camps around, trying to visit family and supporters, planning and facilitating trips to Puerto PeƱasco, and, if there is any time left, taking some vacation to rest. Naturally, all of this is done outside of our work with the groups that do come during this part of the year and the usual preparations for the upcoming spring when we will be “busy” again.

Even in writing down what we have been up to lately has put my mind in busy mode. But I must pause here to reflect on something: I absolutely love my life. But too often I approach whatever task is in front of me, whether it be laying tile in the office bathrooms or preparing for my group next weekend, without remembering why I do it all — without counting my blessings so to speak...and I am very blessed.

I am at a loss to think of another capacity in which I could experience what goes on here. Where else can I experience the joy of seeing a new church built and within a year be a landmark in the community because of the love and hope it shares? Where else can I offer four days, or three, or two of hard work and see a family transformed? Where else can I go to see people communicate the love of Christ better through laughter, tears, handshakes, and hugs than they ever could even if they spoke the same language (which they usually don’t)? What other job can display to me an act of faith so simple and yet so profound as to bring the church, the whole church, together in a singular point of unity? I could go on...and on...and on.

My point? I’m not sure I have one. But I do want to express what an honor it has been for the last three years to wake up every morning, whether it be in Mexico or San Diego, knowing we are changing lives. It is an honor to drive around on bumpy roads, breathe dust and cement, cut, scrape, and scratch my hands, and fall asleep content in knowing that it was all done loving our neighbor and giving glory to God.

I guess I’m trying to make you all feel as much a part of this as I do. You are. This is your ministry. And while I know I could not be here without your support, the truth is I wouldn’t want to be. What has been the hardest part of being involved in this ministry, raising and maintaining my salary, has also become one of the greatest blessings. Truly I am fortunate to be here seeing and doing, but please know I take you all with me.

So, within the craziness of life, which seems compounded during this season, I pause to thank God for all of you—because I easily count you among my blessings. Thank you so much for allowing me to be here. Peace and Merry Christmas.

No comments: